Marie Guerin and Katrina Collins from the Victorian Electoral Commission
Discussed engaging readers with the 2020 Municipal Elections
Digital Publishing – James Poyner
James discussed using digital technology in the various stages of news gathering, production and distribution,
Your burning questions — Jeanette Severs
Jeanette facilitated a lively Q&A about all manner of topics that delegates had about newspaper production
Illustrating your point – Jock Macneish
Cartoonist Jock Macneish gave a talk about the benefits of using a cartoon to draw readers in to your story.
See the full 2019 Conference photo album on Flickr
Lisa Colquhoun and Felicity Garrigan—State Library Newspaper Archive
Legal deposit is the responsibility of publishers to submit their papers to the State Library.
Conducting an interview—Lisa Dennis, from Castlemaine Mail and Midland Express
Lisa gave some excellent information on interviewing.
Principles of layout and design—Jeanette Severs
Jeanette gave a thought provoking workshop illustrating the importance of the visual impression of your layout and what it says about what your publication is and is trying to convey.
How to survey your readership—Mick Bourke
Mick talked about how to engage with your community using tools such as Survey Monkey.
See the full 2018 Conference photo album on Flickr
Keynote speaker (was unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances)
- How to write an opinion piece (Jeanette Severs)
- Interpreting the Census (Rebecca Roberts, ABS)
- Do you need a website? (An umbrella CNAV website system) (Tony Phelps, Winch Websites)
See the full 2017 Conference photo album on Flickr
Keynote speaker Peter Wearne (Youth Support and Advocacy Service, Chair of the Yarra Drug and Health Forum and Vice-President of the Trust for Young Australians)
- Community engagement
See the full 2015 Conference photo album on Flickr
2014 Caroline Springs
Keynote speaker Don Watson (Author, public speaker and speech-writer)
- Generating stories and content
- Digitisation of archives
- Achieving balance in editing your community newspaper
- Building and maintaining relationships with other community groups
See the full 2014 Conference photo album on Flickr
Keynote speaker Margaret Simons (Journalist, author, academic and media commentator)
- Models of community newspaper ownership
- Moving online—digital or not?
- Advertising, policies, pricing, and selling space
See the full 2012 Conference photo album on Flickr
Keynote speaker Eric Beecher (former journalist and editor, owner and publisher of several journalism-based websites including Crikey.com)
- Editorial content and direction
- Production problems and solutions—why some photos reproduce so poorly
See the full 2007 Conference photo album on Flickr
Keynote speaker John Thwaites, Deputy Premier and Minister for Victorian Communities
- Legal structures of community newspapers
- The Fair Trading Act with Consumer Affairs Victoria
- Production, activities and equipment involved in community newspaper publication
- Governance — Structure, Volunteers, Policy development
See the full 2006 Conference photo album on Flickr